When we talk about a roofing system, you may have heard of the words “soffit and fascia.” However, some homeowners aren’t sure of what these components are and how important they are to their roofs. These roof parts serve a vital purpose in maintaining the structural integrity of a home, which is why you must always care for them.
In this article, we will discuss more regarding soffit and fascia and why they play a vital role in your roof and home in general. Also, we will share some tips to know when to replace them
As mentioned, both the soffit and fascia are vital parts of a roofing system. But to know what they are and differentiate them, be sure to take note of the following:
– Soffit: It refers to the underside of any element of a building. In the case of a roofing system, it is the horizontal piece covering the underside of your roof’s overhang.
– Fascia: It refers to the board running along the ends of a structure where exterior elements are attached. As for your roofing system, it is the horizontal piece covering the space between the soffit and the roof.
Now that you know more about the differences between the soffit and fascia, let’s now delve into their primary purposes and basic functions. Consider the following details:
– Soffit: This roof part closes the space beneath the eaves on the exterior of the house. It protects your roof from moisture and controls the temperature at home.
– Fascia: This roof component creates a barrier between its edge and the outside. It ensures a smooth appearance to the edge, protects the roof from weather damage, and provides a point for the gutters and drain pipes to attach to.
Keep in mind that heavy rainfall or storms can hit your roofing system with too much rainwater. If this happens and your gutters become clogged over time, it’s easy for water leaks to extend to your fascia and soffits. However, if left unattended for long periods, they can cause mould growth and lead to significant structural damages. This is when you may need to replace them.
On a more specific note, you have to be on the lookout for the following signs of damages before deciding to replace the components in question:
– Rotting wood
– Water leaks
– Peeling paint on the soffit and fascia
– Discolouration on trim, siding, and soffits
– Extensive, obvious damages
If you notice one or some of these signs, it’s best to have a roof inspection as soon as possible and replace your soffit and fascia!
Here at MCM Home, our qualified team of installers install and replace various types of soffit and fascia using quality materials sourced from reputable manufacturers. As we ensure compliance with local codes, complete property protection, and customer satisfaction, you can count on us!
At this point, you now know that there is more to soffit and fascia than what you might have initially expected. As mentioned, they protect your roofing system from moisture while providing utmost support to your roofline in general. For this reason, be sure to maintain them regularly and call a roofing expert to finally replace them when necessary!
We provide exterior home renovations in Edmonton, specializing in windows and doors, roofing, siding, as well as soffit, fascia, and eaves services. If you specifically need a soffit and fascia installation, get in touch with us today to see how we can help!